This firm was founded in 1920 by Mr. N. B. Hampton as THE HAMPTON CO. It was a furniture store and funeral home at 2105 Proctor, in what was then a thriving downtown area. It was purchased by Paul B. Clayton and Thorlief Thompson in 1930 and became a very successful funeral home during the war years. During this period Port Arthur was considered "boom town" due to the shipyards and oil industry.
In 1948 the death of Paul B. Clayton made Thorlief Thompson the sole owner. The funeral home continued to thrive under Mr. Thompson's leadership. In 1954 Thorlief Thompson died at a young age and his wife continued to run the business until 1965 when it was purchased by Charles Hanson, a native Port Arthuran. Mr. Hanson had worked at Clayton-Thompson since 1954 as a young ambulance attendant.
In 1976, for the 50th anniversary, Clayton Thompson built a large new facility adjacent to Port Arthur's only cemetery. A new entrance was built by the cemetery at this time especially for Clayton-Thompson, which is directly across from the funeral home parking lot.
Clayton-Thompson continues to be Port Arthur's leading funeral home.